Giulia Giupponi, Bocconi University Sam Ray-Chaudhuri, Institute for Fiscal Studies Xiaowei Xu, Institute for Fiscal Studies February 16, 2024 The introduction of the National Living Wage (NLW) in April 2016 marked the start of a series of increases in the …
What is the National Living Wage? Our main job at the Low Pay Commission is to recommend future National Minimum Wage (NMW) rates. Under the NMW, there are different rates for different age groups and a separate rate for apprentices. …
Why is employment still lower than it was three years ago? Total employment in the UK fell following the pandemic and still has not recovered to pre-pandemic levels. The red line in the figure below shows that in August 2022, …
What do workers look for in jobs? Wages are obviously important. If you asked almost anyone whether they would like to be paid more per hour, they would say yes. But new evidence  commissioned by the Low Pay Commission …
Related content and links
About the Low Pay Commission
A blog on the work of the Low Pay Commission (LPC), an independent body that advises the government about the National Minimum Wage.
Comments and moderation
- How has the NLW affected pay differentials within firms?
- Experiences and Perceived Impacts of the Apprenticeship Minimum Wage: A Qualitative Scoping Study
- Low Pay Commission regional visits 2024 – Your chance to be heard
- The LPC has updated its definitions of ‘low-paying sectors’
- The NLW and protected characteristics: differences in employment and minimum wage coverage by ethnicity, disability, and gender